LASER lipolysis is a method proven for its safety and efficiency, approved by FDA in 2006 for body contouring. Fat cell walls are broken via LASER light, and the fat inside the cells are aimed to be exposed. This exposed fat is removed in wide areas with milimetric cannulas almost without any scars; in small areas such as jowls, this is not even necessary because lymphatic drainage removes this dissolved fat itself.
What are the advantages of LASER lipolysis?
– There is almost no scar left because the procedure can be done in very small cuts. It prevents long and visible scar development of lifting procedures when proper patients are chosen.
– I think the biggest advantage of LASER is the recovery it creates in the skin and connective tissues between skin and muscle. This recovery of connective tissue prevents hanging skins in the areas of fat removal, which would not be possible with classical liposuction method.
– Empurpling and pain is much less than in the classical methods because laser does not break down the fat with a mechanical effect like in classical liposuction and it provides bleeding control; thus patient compliance is better and return to social life is faster. These features are proven in scientific articles.
– The fluctuation of classical liposuction is much less, because fat removal is more homogenous, thus the need for revisions is less.
– There is no systemic side effect reported.
Where can it be applied?
It can be applied in almost everywhere that can be applied liposuction, such as belly, thighs, waist, genital area, medial side of the leg and knee. It is appropriate to use in the areas which possibly develop hanging skin after liposuction, such as medial arm, face and jowl. It can be applied easily in the back which is difficult to apply liposuction and it provides recovery in the hanging skin. Also, it is an efficient method for treatment of gynecomasty in men. It can also be used for solving the problems efficiently in the areas that are applied a liposuction but not properly and sufficiently. It is also efficient in treatment of armpit sweating.
Can LASER lipolysis be used for weight loss purposes?
As other methods of fat extraction, this method should not be used for weight loss. It is very successful in correction of body contours, of course there will be some weight loss during this process, but the main purpose is to correct the contour. Even small amount of fat removed from the right place adds too much benefit on the body contour. For example, just a few fat removal from the area under the jaw and laser tightening procedure will make the neck contour look much younger. The same way, small volume fat removal from the medial arm, thigh and medial leg, knee area and tightening procedures are safe and efficient.
How is Laser Lipolysis applied and what is it like in Post-Operative Process?
It is usually applied under local anesthesia; but in wide areas it can be applied through sedation or general anesthesia. One or two holes sized 1-2 mm are opened on the skin where it can be hidden in the area of application. Proper energy level is adjusted on the control panel and it is transmitted to subcutaneous fat tissue through a fiberoptic cannula. Fat cells are broken with laser. These broken laser is absorbed from the same hole. Holes are closed with an absorbable suture. Short term compression bandaging is performed. Local anesthetics and serum leak slightly for 6-12 hours after the procedure. Pain is usually absent for the first 6-8 hours. After this duration, a simple pain killer may stop the pain. Patients usually return to social life after a day or two. In this method, patient tolerance and satisfaction is reported high, and recovery duration short.
How long does Laser Lipolysis Procedure take?
Face and jaw approximately takes 45 minutes while larger areas such as belly and thigh make take an hour.
When does its effect appear, is it permanent?
Half of the effect can be seen after the operation. Studies show that cases applied aspiration show the last results in 1-2 months. The effect is permanent. Of course, this procedure is successful when only done with the equipment proven for its effect on the wave length and power, fat removal, skin and connective tissue recovery. MRI and 3D photography methods scientifically prove volume reduction.
Who cannot be applied Laser Lipolysis?
As in all medical applications, people with serious heart problems, cancer, uncontrolled diabetes, bleeding disorders, skin infections, psoriasis, immune system disease or pregnants should not have the surgery without doctor’s consultations and taking necessary precautions.